The prophet Amos confronted several social issues in his day, 750 b.c., because the kings of Israel and Judah, along with the priesthood, were out of covenant with Yahweh. Amos was commissioned by God, with the authority of Deut. ch5, to keep these kings in line. The following were the social issues he confronted, which unfortunately we see in some of the Church and government of America. May we heed and learn from Amos's warnings.
1) Ruthless business practices were out of control. What they did is like Bernie Madoff. They would cheat the poor and fill their own pockets.
2) No integrity in the courts made justice bitter. The judges detested the plea of the just. They were enemies of righteousness and takers of bribes.
3) There was luxury in the midst of poverty. Those elites did not consider what was devastating the people and the country.
4) They lived in a delusion. The officials did not believe in consequences to warped ways of living. They did not believe it was a privilege to serve.
5) Complacency. They thought they had eveything they needed. There was an ease in Zion. God finally said you will not have a famine for food or water, but a famine for the Word of God!
I, Russell, am taking a class at VCU and we discussed the above. Please keep praying for the Church and government to come back into covenant with God. With God all things are possible!